Structural drying is a process with the help of which users can dry building and other items affected due to water damage in an effective manner. When water damage occurs due to flooding or indoor leakage, then a number of materials and items in the building get wet and their moisture content may not come down for a long period. Wooden floors, walls, carpets, upholstery, and other such items present in a building get affected deeply due to water damage and their moisture level stays elevated for a long period. There are a number of different methods available for removing moisture content from these items and restoring them to their original status. Structural drying is a similar process and in this article, we will explain how the users can perform it either on their own or by seeking the services of professionals.
Supplies required for performing the drying process
The users will require a number of different devices that will enable them to perform the structural drying process in a convenient manner. These devices are usually expensive, due to which we recommend the users to seek the services of professionals, as it will be more economical. Some of the devices required in the process are as follows:
- Water extractors: There are different types of water extractors available in the market with the help of which water in liquid form can be removed from various items in a highly effective manner. It is highly appropriate to use water extractors before performing the drying process as it will simplify the process and reduce the overall time required.
- Air movers: These are the primary devices for carrying out the process of removing moisture present in the items.
- Dehumidifiers: These are the devices employed for the purpose of removing humidity such as water vapors present in the material and ensuring a comprehensive drying of the items.
- Hot air blower: Sometimes, it is also important to maintain the temperature of an item in order to protect it from getting damaged due to low temperature. Therefore, hot air blowers are used in order to reduce the temperature of the item and maintaining it at an appropriate temperature. You can know more about how to clean silk here.
Steps involved in the structural drying process
In order to perform the process, we recommend users to follow the steps given below for achieving effective results. We also recommend taking special care in order to protect the items that require drying from overuse on misuse of the equipment.
- In the first step, we recommend that with the help of water extractors, the workers should remove as much water in the liquid form as possible. It will simplify carrying out the drying process afterword.
- After applying water extractors on all parts of the area, apply the air movers by placing them in such a way that they cover all parts of the area. The application of air movers depends upon the extent of water damage. Therefore, we recommend applying the air movers for a sufficient time until the removal of the moisture.
- Now, with the help of a dehumidifier, remove water vapors that might not be removed during the air movers’ evaporation process.
- In the end, in case required to maintain the temperature of the items, we recommend using hot air blower for the purpose.