Silk is a delicate material and most manufacturers of silk garments recommend their customers
to use dry cleaning process in order to clean silk. However, dry cleaning can be expensive and
not everyone may be able to afford it. Therefore, it is important to devise a method in order to
clean silk using inexpensive cleaning agents so that everyone can clean their silk garments
without having to spend a lot of money. The most common cleaning issue that occurs with silk
garments is casual stains due to various reasons. In case of any other material, removing stains is an easy process, however, in case of silk; it has to be done in a highly careful manner due to the delicate and sophisticated nature of the material.
Therefore, in this article, we will explain a process with the help of which the readers can clean
silk at home without requiring any professional help such as dry cleaning services.
Supplies required to perform the Silk cleaning process
It is possible to perform silk cleaning at home with the help of natural cleaners; however, the
process needs to be performed with special care. Some of the supplies that will be required in
order to perform the silk cleaning process are as follows:
- A natural cleaner: An appropriate natural cleaner such as lemon juice, vinegar, mild
ammonia, alcohol solution, etc. may be used in order to perform the process to clean silk. It is important to ensure that the selected natural cleaners will not negatively react with silk garment.
- Lukewarm water: An effective cleaning of the silk items requires the application of the cleaning agent with the help of lukewarm water. Therefore, an appropriate amount of water should be available before starting the process to clean silk.
Steps involved in the Silk cleaning process
Before starting the process, it is important to ensure that the cleaning agent will not negatively
react with the silk material. Therefore, in order to ensure this, a test should be performed with the cleaning agent. Sometimes the cleaning agent can have an adverse effect on the color of the item. Apply the cleaning agent on a hidden portion of the garment in order to judge its reaction. In case everything is fine then perform the steps stated below to clean silk:
- Pour an appropriate amount of lukewarm water in a washing tub.
- Now put the silk items in water in order to rinse them properly.
- Now add an appropriate amount of the natural cleaning agent in the water. It can help remove stains or dirt from the surface of the garment.
- Gently rub the silk against itself in order to remove stains from the garment. There is no need to use a scrubber or a brush in order to remove stains as it is possible to achieve good results by rubbing the garment against itself.
- Continue the process until all the saints have been removed and a fresh look of the garment has been obtained.
- Dry the garments properly in the air before storing them.